Fort Worth, Texas,
14:46 PM

The Amazing Adventure of Mirko Alvarez

Boy travels from Bolivia to find answers at Cook Children's

What would you do to save your child? Would you travel across the world? Would you leave your family behind? Sell everything you own? Give the shirt off your back?

Diego and Tatiana Alvarez did all those things to help their son Mirko in his battle against epilepsy in a wild adventure that began a year ago in Bolivia and brought them to Cook Children's Medical Center in Fort Worth, Texas.

Mirko, now 4 years old, has since returned with his family to Bolivia. He's walking and showing amazing progress. It's hard to believe that this little boy went through so much over the course of a year, taking his family with him through a remarkable adventure.

Down a dead-end street

Life in Bolivia is judged on a different scale than how we measure success in the United States. Minimum wage is around $280 a month. You make a decent living at about $800 and anything over $1,000 is considered great.

Diego and Tatiana lived a good life in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, raising their children - Andrey, 10, Mia, 8 and Mirko. Diego helped students learn English and competed in mixed martial arts. Tatiana drew amazing sketches and her art hung in the couple's home.

For three years, Mirko kept up with other children his own age when it came to speaking, running and playing.

Then on Feb. 12, 2016, Mirko ran a very low temperature, but nothing to get too concerned over ... at least not right away. After the fever continued for a couple of days, the family made a doctor's appointment.

The evening prior to the appointment, Diego was in the gym training for his next fight. He put his phone away, but as he was warming up he noticed it was blinking and he felt that something was going on before he picked up the phone. When he answered, he heard his mom hysterically screaming and shouting.

"Something has happened to Mirko," she said. "He's convulsing."

Diego grabbed his stuff and ran to his car. His wife called shortly after. "Mirko's dying," Tatiana cried.

Tatiana held Mirko and stepped outside their home screaming for help, Andrey ran to a neighbor's house to a neighbor, who rushed Tatiana, Mirko and his siblings to the hospital. Diego drove from training to the hospital to meet his family. The convulsions continued all over the little boy's body and his eyes rolled back in his head. The doctor on duty asked Diego to step outside.

"We are a small hospital. We can't take care of him," the doctor said. "You need to take him to a big hospital."

Then the doctor surprised Diego with a question. "Do you have a car?" The doctor explained the ambulance at the hospital wasn't dependable and a newer car would get Mirko to the hospital faster.

Diego, his sister, Mirko, with an IV in his arm, and the doctor piled into the sports car and took off like they were being chased in an action movie.

"Thank God I drove a fast car," Diego said.

The family raced through Bolivia, pounding the horn, screaming at people to get out of the way while running red lights. At one point, a traffic jam stopped the car and the doctor told Diego he had to find a way to get Mirko to the hospital because the little boy only had a few minutes left to live.

"It was terrifying," Diego said. "I was moving on instinct and desperation."

Diego remembered that another hospital was only three blocks away from where they were stopped. He hopped his car on the sidewalk, yelling at people to move. They made it to the bigger hospital's ER. The convulsions lasted for more than 40 minutes. But doctors were able get Mirko stabilized.

Treated Like a Refrigerator

Mirko always had been a daddy's boy. They share a special bond that began at birth. Diego stayed next to his sleeping son, scared of what would happen if he closed his eyes.

"I didn't even know what a seizure was until this happened to Mirko," Diego said.

Mirko woke up at the hospital and smiled at Diego like it was any other day and even asked, "Why are we here?" But any sign of relief vanished as Mirko's eyelids began to twitch again.

Mirko received thorough testing - an MRI and an EEG. The next day, Diego and Tatiana met with a neurologist at the hospital in Bolivia.

"She treated our son like a refrigerator. She was very cold," Diego said. "She said, 'Your son has epilepsy. Give him this medication. I'll see you in three months.' We had so many questions. 'What can he eat?' 'What can he drink?' 'What happens the next time he has a seizure?' 'Will he have a normal life?' 'But we never got the chance to ask anything."

White Spots on the Brain

The MRI scan of Mirko came back, showing "white spots on his brain." A neurologist told Diego that his son could have leukodystrophy, which shows up in the white matter of the brain on scans. Diego looked up the disorder online and his heart plummeted into his stomach. If he had leukodystrophy, Mirko possibly faced loss of motor function, muscle rigidity, the loss of sight and hearing and eventually death."

"I cried a lot," Diego remembers. "It's the worst you could hear about your son. He's going to die. I was never an alcoholic. I never did drugs. I didn't smoke. Neither did my wife. We lived such healthy lives. But we couldn't help but wonder if it was somehow our fault."

Fortunately, Mirko's parents wanted a second opinion. They found a neurologist who told them their son didn't have the fatal disorder. The white spots were likely a result of the MRI machine being so old at the previous hospital.

While that news was good, it only proved what Diego and Tatiana already knew. They weren't getting the best care possible. They would have to go elsewhere to find any hope for Mirko.

A Game of Chance

Their new neurologist told Diego and Tatiana their son wasn't going to die, but he needed surgery to control his epilepsy. Mirko needed surgery to remove the portion of the brain causing the seizures and he needed it fast.

Mirko's seizures came often - 20, 40, 60 seizures or more a day. He lost his quality of life and their happy little boy was losing himself to epilepsy.

"I was tortured," Tatiana said. "I would count the seizures every day. The amazing thing was after every seizure, Mirko would still smile. I read a Facebook post by a dad who said to count the smiles and not the seizures. That changed everything for me. I now saw more smiles than seizures."

Diego and Tatiana were desperate to find help for their son.

Diego's father, Javier, told his son they would find the best place in the world for their son. Somehow, they would find the money to make this miracle happen.

Mirko's parents searched online and researched to find the right hospital for their little boy. They found hospitals in Chile, Brazil, Miami, New York and Houston. They narrowed their focus to a children's hospital in Miami. The soonest they could see him was three months.

But as Diego frequently says, "God has his ways."

During the turmoil of trying to find a place to help his grandson, Javier went to play billiards with friends to distract him from the real world for a little while.

A friend could see something was bothering him and asked what was wrong. When Javier told the man Mirko's story, the friend told him about his niece's child who had a serious neurological disorder. He described to Javier about a place in Fort Worth, Texas called Cook Children's. After being seen at Cook Children's, the family had actually moved to Fort Worth to be near the doctors. That's how much the place had meant to them.

"He told my dad that lady had been all over the world. All the same places we'd been looking at too. But the woman said she couldn't find any treatment for her son until they came to Cook Children's," Diego said.

That evening, Javier talked to his friend's niece about Cook Children's. The following day Javier connected Diego with the woman and they spoke for more than two hours.

"She really convinced me," Diego said. "I felt it. I felt this was the place. We had to get to Fort Worth."

Diego called Cook Children's and was connected to Yadira Nunez, International Business Development liaison. He told her his story and that a neurologist at Cook Children's, had taken care of a family friend's son. Nunez was in Mexico for a conference with a neurologist and put Diego on the phone with the doctor.

Within a matter of hours, Diego and Tatiana booked an appointment that would have them arriving in Fort Worth in less than two weeks.

Sell Everything

With an appointment made, the Alvarez family now had to pay for their trip. Javier bought the plane tickets for Mirko and his parents. The need for money called for drastic steps. On Dec. 5, 2016, Diego spent his birthday selling nearly everything he owned to provide care for his son; and the rest of the family also sacrificed their belongings.

"Thank God Diego's father was there to help and made everything possible," Tatiana said. "Diego always says, 'My dad is our guardian angel.'"

Diego, Tatiana and Mirko arrived in Fort Worth on Dec. 6, 2016. They spent Tatiana's birthday, Mirko's birthday, Christmas and New Year's Day at Cook Children's - all away from their two other children.

Their older son and daughter were heavily impacted by Mirko's condition. Not only were they away from their parents for more than six months, but they had to withdraw from private school.

"Private schools are so important in Bolivia," Diego said. "Public schools there aren't good. You can't get the same education, plus they are insecure. There are kidnappings at the other schools."

Diego's mom went with her grandchildren to the school and stayed there until the end of the day so the kids wouldn't be left alone.

Dump Truck

At Cook Children's, the Comprehensive Epilepsy Team took over the day-to-day care of Mirko as he was admitted to the Epilepsy Monitoring Unit once he arrived. Within 11 hours, he experienced 40 seizures.

"We evaluated Mirko and struggled a bit with the actual reason for his epilepsy, but ultimately decided a large resection of his frontal lobe would be the best answer to help him without hurting him," said Scott Perry, M.D. medical director of Neurology. "We also knew this initial resection may not be adequate, but wanted to try to preserve as much of his brain as we could."

On Feb. 2, 2017, David Donahue, M.D., a neurosurgeon at Cook Children's, performed the surgery on Mirko to remove his left frontal lobe. While the Diego and Tatiana found previous doctors cold, they found themselves being listened to and informed at Cook Children's. Both Diego and Tatiana refer to Dr. Donahue as the "sweetest."

Following surgery, doctors prepared Diego and Tatiana for the possibility that their son may not speak because speech was in the area removed. But when he came out of anesthesia, Mirko looked at his parents and said two simple words typical of many little boys.

"Dump truck."

It's believed that the brain, being the amazing organ that it is, already was using the healthier parts on the opposite side to shift his speech. The other fear was that Mirko would be paralyzed on his right side. But soon after surgery, they noticed while sleeping Mirko moved his right arm and leg.

Diego and Tatiana hoped that the surgery would end Mirko's seizures. While they weren't every day, Mirko still had seizures, although not the severe ones that had been so devastating. The neurological team held out hope that the surgery would eventually end the seizures altogether.

And Diego and Tatiana waited for things to return to how they used to be.

You Can't Go Home ... Yet

Following the initial surgery, Diego, Tatiana and Mirko planned to go home to Bolivia. They had received help and Mirko's seizures weren't as severe and easier to control.

But that wasn't good enough for the Epilepsy Team.

The team knew that the same quality of health care wouldn't be waiting for Mirko in Bolivia and he wasn't responding well enough to medications to control his seizures. They felt it was it was in Mirko's best interest to have one more surgery.

"It was difficult to tell Mirko's family that another major surgery was needed. But we felt under the circumstances, a second surgery was required to establish a better quality of life for Mirko once he returned home," Dr. Perry said. "It was really his only hope at that point."

While the first surgery removed Mirko's left frontal lobe, a few weeks later the second surgery disconnected the entire left hemisphere from the right side of his brain.

After the surgery was performed Mirko developed a blood clot in his brain and the family stayed in Texas for two more months to treat it. Mirko required six blood thinner shots a day for those two months and took them "like a warrior he is." After the blood clot was gone, it was finally time to return home. Mirko and his parents arrived in Santa Cruz, Bolivia on May 26, 2017, just one day before Mother's Day. They celebrated the holiday and Mirko's health six months after their adventure began in Texas.

The surgery and treatment was a success. Mirko is now seizure-free. His mental faculties are intact and he is able to speak. Physical therapy helped Mirko regain the right side of his body and he is now able to walk.

"We used to have a normal life," Tatiana said. "We would go to the cinema. To the mall. We had a normal family. A year later, everything changed because of epilepsy. We have a normal life again now. We are just so thankful to God for Cook Children's and everything they have done for us. We really are."

After all, what's a great adventure without a happy ending.


Celebrating Cook Children's Centennial

Cook Children's is turning 100 and will be celebrating all year! Don't miss out on the fun throughout 2018. Enjoy unique stories, parades, special guests, and community events across Fort Worth. We hope that you can share in some our celebrations because you're the 1 in our 100!

Celebrate with us

Comments (0)
Thank you for your message. It will be posted after approval.