Local 3 Year Old Dies After Climbing in Hot Car
7 kids have died in Texas this year after being left in an unattended vehicle
A 3-year-old from Fort Worth died over the weekend after he climbed into a non-working vehicle.
The Star-Telegram reported police believe the boy was in the car for 45 minutes before he was found. Temperatures reached 100 degrees in Tarrant County over the weekend.
According to the website noheatstrokedeath.org, playing in unattended cars is the second leading cause of heatstroke death of children left in vehicles.
Since 1998, a total of 714 children across the United States have died from heatstroke when unattended in a vehicle:
- 54 percent – child forgotten by caregiver
- 28 percent – child playing in unattended vehicle
- 17 percent – child intentionally left in vehicle by adult.
“This is a tragic death. Life happens and distractions are everywhere, but there are no do-overs in cases like this one,” said Dana Walraven Community Health Outreach Manager at Cook Children’s. “To prevent these tragedies, it’s up to the adults to start with safe habits: monitor your child’s play outside, keep the car locked at all times to prevent access. When you are driving in your car, keep a purse or cell phone in the back seat so you are always in the habit of going back there and can ensure it’s clear of kids. What makes these stories so sad is that they are preventable.”
From January 1 through June 24, 2017, a total of 14 children in the United States have died as a result of a heatstroke when in an unattended vehicle, including seven in Texas.
“Always lock your car and ensure children do not have access to keys or remote entry devices. Teach children that vehicles are never to be used as a play area.”
- Child Safety Center
- Vehicle/Car Safety
- Frequently Asked Questions About Hyperthermia
- Heatstroke Safety Tips