Need to See a Pediatrician? Here's How to Schedule a Virtual Visit.
Cook Children’s is open and ready to take care of your general pediatric needs during this challenging time.
Doing their best to minimize in-person visits, Cook Children’s Primary Care Physicians and Cook Children’s Urgent Care Physicians are partnering to provide telemedicine visits to help provide the quality pediatric care you expect from Cook Children’s.
Click here for tips on how to prepare for a video vist.
“Many parents have simple questions that can be answered by a quick conversation with a pediatrician and do not require an in-person visit,” said Justin Smith, M.D., a pediatrician and medical director of Virtual Health for Cook Children’s. “This technology allows our pediatricians to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 while still providing high-level care to our patients.”
Patients can access telemedicine at Cook Children’s via two major pathways.
Both require two steps in preparation for a visit:
- Patients must have active Cook Children’s MyChart accounts.
- Patients must have the videoconferencing program Zoom downloaded to their device.
After that, parents can choose to either:
- Request a visit with their regular pediatrician by selecting the “Appointments” tab in MyChart or by calling their pediatrician’s office to set up an appointment. These appointments will be available during regular office times. When the time comes for a visit, patients go back to the appointments tab to complete e-check in and start the video visit. Click here to learn more.
- If your child’s regular pediatrician is not available, then you have the option to request a visit with the next available pediatrician by selecting the “Video Visit Now” tab in MyChart. Urgent Care doctors are available to see these visits from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. every day. Once selecting the "Video Visit Now" button, patients are put in line for the next available provider.
In addition to telemedicine visits, Cook Children’s pediatricians are actively working to help keep patients safe by direct messaging with patient families and providing phone visits when video is not an option. Messages can include a picture or video and can be sent through the MyChart “Messages” tab.
For more on this, view the following:
- Primary Care Video Visits
- Urgent Care Virtual Visits
- Zoom: https://cookchildrens.org/mychart/Pages/video-visits.aspx
- My Chart: https://cookchildrens.org/mychart
Get to know Justin Smith, M.D.
Justin Smith, M.D., is a pediatrician in Trophy Club and the Medical Advisor for Digital Health for Cook Children's in Fort Worth, Texas. Dr. Smith is an experienced keynote speaker for a variety of topics including pediatric/parenting topics, healthcare social media and physician leadership. If you are interested in having Dr. Smith present to your conference or meeting, please contact him at firstname.lastname@example.org.
He has an active community on both Facebook and Twitter as @TheDocSmitty and writes weekly for Cook Children's checkupnewsroom.com. He believes that strategic use of social media and technology by pediatricians to connect with families can deepen their relationship and provide a new level of convenience for both of their busy lifestyles. Dr. Smith’s innovative pediatric clinic, a pediatric clinic “designed by you,” open now. Click here to make an appointment, call 817-347-8100.