Here's What to Know About the May 2022 Jif Recall
Certain lots of Jif brand peanut butter sold nationwide have been recalled due to potential Salmonella contamination. The recall includes many sizes and types, including creamy, crunchy, natural and reduced fat. Go here to read the full list of products and see the UPC codes (bar codes) that are part of the recall.
The recall also includes lot code numbers from 1274425 to 2140425 with “425” as the fifth, sixth and seventh numbers. These codes are included alongside best-if-used-by dates.
There have been 14 reported illnesses and two hospitalizations over 12 states, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
What are the symptoms of salmonella?
Salmonella is an organism that can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems.
Healthy persons infected with Salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (which may be bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection with Salmonella can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and producing more severe illnesses such as arterial infections (i.e., infected aneurysms), endocarditis and arthritis.
What to do
- Be sure to check any Jif brand peanut butter you have because it has a very long shelf life.
- Do not eat any recalled Jif brand peanut butter. Throw it away.
- Wash surfaces and containers that may have touched the recalled peanut butter using hot, soapy water.
- Call your healthcare provider if you have one or more of these symptoms after eating recalled peanut butter:
- Diarrhea and a fever higher than 102°F
- Diarrhea for more than 3 days that is not improving
- Bloody diarrhea
- So much vomiting that you cannot keep liquids down
- Signs of dehydration, such as:
- Not peeing much
- Dry mouth and throat
- Feeling dizzy when standing up
Consumers who have questions or would like to report adverse reactions should visit www.jif.com/contact-usExternal Link Disclaimer or call 800-828-9980 Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM ET.