Medical Director of Infectious Diseases Urges Us All To Wear Our Masks
Why is wearing a face mask important?
- Face coverings help to prevent the spread of COVID-19 because our everyday actions, such as speaking, coughing and sneezing, can easily transmit it.
- Some people with COVID-19 may not have symptoms (asymptomatic) and can transmit the virus unknowingly. By wearing a mask, they can help prevent that.
- While social distancing is still crucial, there are times when 6-feet of space is not always possible. For instance, when you’re at a grocery store check-out register. The mask helps to provide another layer of protection.
- By covering part of your face, you’re less likely to touch your eyes, nose and mouth. Plus, the mask reminds yourself and others to maintain social distancing.
- Your face covering helps to protect the people around you ~ your friends, your neighbors, your co-workers ~ from getting sick. And when others wear masks, they are helping to protect YOU.