Fort Worth, Texas,
09:04 AM

'My Christmas miracle'

Graysen’s story of survival from preemie through 14 surgeries


Crystal Schober  blogs for us today, telling us the remarkable story of Graysen, her little boy. She has a lot to celebrate this holiday season as her little boy turns 10 years old.

Ten years ago this month, I had spent my first 24 hours of two weeks in the hospital for eclampsia (high blood pressure during pregnancy that can lead to muscle pain and neurological consequences, including seizures). Doctors could not get my blood pressure down and I had a 27 week gestation baby in my belly with three more months to go. My blood pressure was at a deathly rate and the doctors prepared me emotionally for an emergency delivery.

Who were they kidding? There's no emotional prepping anyone could do at that time. So, off to the OR for delivery we went. Talk about scared! They gave my baby a 10 percent chance of survival and they gave me a death sentence if they didn't deliver right then and there.

Graysen was brought into this world three months early weighing 1.4 pounds and not crying, or breathing. I remember seeing that he was the size of the nurse’s hand when she was working on him. I got to take one look at him before they had to intubate him immediately to get him breathing, since he was turning blue.

They then hurried away with him to the delivering hospital’s NICU. He was supposed to be born on March 15th (spring break baby) and he came into this world right before Christmas. With only a diaper the size of a tiny flip cell phone (which was the phone we had 10 years ago!), and under a heat lamp for warmth, inch by inch, ounce by ounce, he grew.

Weeks into life, the doctors decided to start feeding him by NG tube (Nasogastric tube that runs through the nose and into the stomach for feeds).

He did fine tolerating the feeds until he got an infection in the intestines, called necrotizing enterocolitis, also known as Nec. This made his belly swell up and, if not cured properly, could have resulted in a hole in the intestines, which is fatal. Surviving Nec was thought to be low. The doctors called to inform me that he was not doing so well and needed to be transferred by Teddy Bear Transport to the Medical Center’s NICU.

They loaded him up and took him by ambulance after two months in the NICU where he was born to begin his next few months of growing. Cook Children’s slowly nursed him back to better health, and, luckily, Graysen did not need surgery on his intestines. Miraculously, he pulled through another obstacle.

Weeks went by before they attempted to feed him again. In the meantime, the doctors had a central line surgically put into his chest so he could receive his nutrients properly. After a few weeks of feeds, the doctors started to see major improvement. They took him off the respirator and put him on a high flow nasal cannula to help with Graysen’s oxygenation and breathing. He did great with this new machine. Now breathing well, it was time to introduce the bottle at around 3 months. He took it, but not all of it.

The doctors had to decide what to do about the feeds he was leaving behind. They decided to put a G-button surgically into his stomach so that the left over feeds could be received by tube. This was the turning point. The hardest decision I had to make. Once that G-button was placed, I would have a medically dependent child.

After being in the NICU for five months, this was the only way he would be able to come home, and I was ready for that day. I gave the doctors the approval, and off to his first surgery he went. That was the first of 14 surgeries he would have throughout his first 10 years of life. Surgeries followed including fundoplication (an operation to prevent stomach contents from returning to the esophagus), hernia repairs, tonsillectomy, and a tethered spinal cord repair. Just to name a few. His spinal cord was taut at the end and neurosurgery was scheduled at 12 months. He caught meningitis after the surgery and, once again, beat dangerous odds.

Graysen went through so much that he didn’t eat. For six years, he was completely tube fed. He went through many years of intensive feeding therapy. He still didn’t want to eat orally. I put him in kindergarten and he saw his peers eating by mouth. That sparked an interest and, at 6 years old, he started eating. Now he demolishes whole cheeseburgers and fries! Not only has he beat death numerous times, he's gone through 14 surgeries and countless doctor appointments getting him to where he is now. This kid is here for a reason. This month we celebrate Graysen's 10th year of LIVING! Graysen is my Christmas miracle.

I could not have done this alone. I am so thankful that I had, and still have, a great network of people working together at Cook Children’s. Without their dedication to their job and to children, I don’t know if Graysen would have made it. Dr. Nancy Dambro was one of his main doctors from the time Graysen was born. Dr. Michael Deitchman has been his pediatrician through all the rollercoaster ups and downs. I can’t thank him enough for his support, countless visits and patience with us. We also see Dr. Jose Iglesias, Dr. Jill Radack, Dr. Bankole Osuntokun and Dr. Fernando Acosta.

It takes a village in Graysen’s case, and I’m glad our village is Cook Children’s!

Comments 1 - 1 (1)
Thank you for your message. It will be posted after approval.
Louis Barron
Six years ago I became acquainted with Graysen, his sister and his mom through a dear friend who lived across the street from their home in Grapevine. Graysen and I became friends, and I became familiar with his miracle story. I also witnessed the total, encompassing love of his single, working mother and his sister and their total dedication to the care, education and encouragement in basketball and baseball.....and the victory of Graysen's eating normally, without a feeding tube.Graysen is a shining star in this world...go Gray and thank you Cook Children for all you do.Louis Barron